Sunday, May 6, 2012

Once again.

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 27; the 27th Edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The topic for this month is 'Once Again'.

Once again.

The garden was a much favored and cherished abode; my favorite wonderland in the world. It was a quiet green glass palace that buzzed of insects and moist warmth of sort; resonating green, growth and life. 
Every month or two, the creepers would look slightly more taller; crawling and entangling more intimately around the blue pipes on the walls, as if playing a careless game of sheer tomfoolery.. The moss draped walls accentuated with white (almost polka dotted) bird droppings; the rather regular little visitors that would exodus and entrada as they please, when they please.

I was a little visitor, myself. I was eight, and after the garden being my favorite place in the world came our Gardener, who was my favorite person in the world; in simple words of a petite heart. 
So every afternoon when Joseph watered the plants, I'd sneak in and stand behind the netted door. 

"Little Missus is here" ; he'd declare in a sing-song way to which I'd stick my tongue out at his hunched back. I'd eventually slip into his lap, while his green thumb would work around the pots. 
So it was just an afternoon such when I sat on Joseph's lap while he recited ridiculous and vivid fictions about the dog flowers growing into real big dogs in a month or two and how the garden would echo of barks and smell of dog litter when suddenly I stopped laughing and sat queer still. 

"What happened, Missus?" 
"Joseph...that butterfly is dead!" ; Joseph followed my big round teary eyes to a yellow butterfly that lay dead on of the pots.
"Did the dogs kill it?" ; my lower lip jutted out.
"Yes, Missus. The dogs..killed it."
"Mad mad mad dogs! But it was so pretty!" ; I whined. 
"It was, innit? But no worries, Little Missus. The dogs left behind the baby! We'll have a pretty little butterfly soon!" ; pointed Joseph at a cocoon. 
"Once again?!" ; my eyes widened. 
Joseph smiled ; "Yes Missus. Once again."


............And now, it feels strange. Standing in front of the coffin of the poor gardener who taught me the motley amphitheater of life and death at eight. 

"Once again, Joseph" , I kept the dog flowers on top of the coffin beneath layers of which, lay his heart. 
____________________________________________________________________
The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
-Much love,
Nil :) 

61 comments:

  1. A good post and a joy to read.

    Have a peaceful Sunday,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely Written.
    A good read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written as always :)
    Will try to be a part of the next edition! Seems pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Banerjeeee. So much niceness, you be. :) And yes, please do!

      Delete
  4. Lovely, loved the conversation between him and the little missus ;-)

    By, Kappu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaar luvly, well written :)
    let me say one thing u r simply awesum... great gng yaar :)
    tc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, Anjali! Your responses are always so adorable!

      Delete
  6. Nicely written. Life and Death .. what comes 'once again' is the real mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One round circle you drew there. Little Missus was adorable.
    To get a simple 'once again' as a topic and to come up with something as well detailed as this is bloody hard. Damn talented you are bhattacharjee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammaaayyyy. Damn sweet you are Bhattacharjee! (so cool we have the same surnames eh?)

      Haha thanks babe :)

      Delete
    2. Why you no visit my blog? (Yes I am that desperate NIl :P )

      Yes yes Bhattas rock the world!

      Delete
    3. I be on my way, Sam Beeeeee.

      Delete
  8. Very touching.. such a naive way to learn about the truth of life.. I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. West Wind! THRILLED to see you here. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Smile kyaa pass kar rahi ho, Hottie Ganesha ;)

      Delete
  10. But who could change what Joseph was to his little Missus. It has a sad, but nice end. It's peaceful, like Joseph.

    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just like that, you simply wrote the conclusion :)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Touching and a lovely post. It captures the true emotions. All the very best and a very nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you so much Maverick. Good luck to you,too :)

      Delete
    2. I believe why refers to the nice blog . Well every blog is reckoned by the posts it has and writer's ability to present them. Lets say it excels at both . The pic above just adds to it.

      Delete
    3. You're much too kind, I'm absolutely thrilled you think so. Thank you, I sure do hope you visit again :)

      Delete
  12. Once again .. you have written a beautiful post :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  13. Imagery was always your thing, wasn't it? :)
    This is beautiful, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babe, if you think so, then I'd be glad,gladder,gladdest :)

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  14. loved the first paragraph... and the second... and the third... and the... oh wait, i loved the WHOLE thing :)
    "beneath the layers of which lay his heart"
    touched my heart so frickin much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you. You're much too kind! Thrilled to know it touched you, I sure do hope to see you around.

      Cheers :)

      Delete
  15. Oh my god. Wow. I can't tell you how much this post moved me. Wow.

    P.S. Can you add the 'Name/URL' thingy for commenting? Because that is the only thing that works fine for me. :)

    -Antara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank youu. I'm humbled :)

      And wait, what? I thought it was there already 0.O

      Lemme go check!

      Delete
  16. Damn, I now wish I'd participated just so I could vote for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The story of Reincarnation can be proved through your post...Butterflies are the beautiful creatures on the wonderful Land Earth...Nicely expressed u r views...:):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. First one to know.
    Last one to comment.

    You know I loved it. After all, I was there RIGHT in front of you while you were writing it down. I was the inspiration, wasn't I? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ofcourse you were, now. I met with the queen last evening,too. Did you know? ;)

      Nyahaha. Thenks thenks, Guinsterr. Kunzum Cafe and us clicked, I guess :D :*

      Delete
  19. The post was simply sweet yet profound, reminded me of The Last Emperor. Its a fantastic movie.

    All the best for BAT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Short and sweet post! Nice read!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATULATIONS on the BAT win :D Now I can say both my friends won :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. My comments on your winning! -

    @Kirti, Ashish and Nil - whoa!! Congratulations guys!
    Your write ups on the just-crippled girl and her emotions, poem on how we deal with things once again and the lovely dialogue between the gardener/little missus has NOT failed!! ;)

    SO happy for your guys!

    Cheers! Do stop by my blog - Kappu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyyyyy! Hi! Thank you so much, Kappu. You're much too kind. I'll be sure to stop by :)

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  23. Hey Nilanjana,

    That was such a meaningful story. And, it shows that you have the craft of telling. Laying down a setting, giving it life, you becoming a part of this life, a friend, stories within the story, tension, learning, peace...

    I hope to visit this blog. Once again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hi Ankit!

      Thrilled to see you here, indeed. Thank you so very much. You're very kind :)

      I sure do hope to see you here, once again :)

      Delete

Pour out your thoughts on mine.... :)